Tuesday, September 14, 2004

my staples, part 4


fish jook with very cute spoon

i've been so drained from work lately that i haven't had any inclination to cook. last night we had takeout from porridge king (or as we affectionately call it, po king) in daly city. it's not fabulous, but when the chinese place down the street is closed, and you're craving jook, this is the place to go. jook, also known as congee, or rice porridge is the ultimate chinese comfort food, for me, anyway. it's basically rice and stock simmered for hours until it's a thick soup. some people like it thin, some like it thick. i usually don't have a preference, unless it's thick as oatmeal, then i really can't eat it. you can put pretty much whatever you want in it. my very favorite is hundred year old egg. my least favorite jook ingredient is boiled peanuts. i can't stand how soggy they get. this time i just had fish jook. it had a great texture. the rice still had some form, but was very soft. and it was full of big chunks of white fish and shredded ginger. i'm actually eating the leftovers as i type. mmm, slurpaliciously good.

dad used to make jook for us every sunday. i really miss that now that i'm grown and out of the house. i've only made jook once, and it was years ago. it turned out ok, but it was a lot of work. and really, when you can get it cheap, fast, and good elsewhere, i can't really imagine going through the trouble.

Porridge King
55 Skyline Plaza
Daly City, CA 94015
650.994.4538

3 Comments:

Anonymous Will said...

Hi, I'm interested in cooking & moroccan cooking in particular. I would like to meet other similar people in my local area. I've found this moroccan cooking site but I need to find some others. Any ideas?
TIA

2:45 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hello friendly Blogers if you are thinking about iron stair railings and iron stair railings Ideas for Home Construction projects. If you own a home and need to work on iron stair railings then al I want to say is Yea.... I wood love to let you in on a secret about home repairs... People ask me all the time about iron stair railings and they want to know simple ways to solve ther problems ...well I have the answers and If you go to http://stairs444.com iron stair railings and go through the site you will find what you are looking for... what can I say butt get going ...

9:39 PM  
Anonymous joel said...

More than 1000 Mouthwatering Indian Recipes to choose from. Make wonderful mouthwatering dishes at home and impress/suprise your loved ones. Step - by - step instructions that actually show you how 5 Star Chefs create such delicious meals.
indian food
A must for Indian Food lovers.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home