Saturday, July 03, 2004

Chocolate Sparkle Cookies

You might be saying to yourself, "Hrmpf, for a baker, dexygus sure doesn't bake much." And I would say, "No, that's not true. I just don't bake anything new and exciting and suitable for the blog." Between baking at work, and baking for my illegitimate business, I find it difficult to try new recipes for the sake of it. I usually bake when I'm craving something, and then I go for a tried and true. But in all honesty, I haven't been baking much at home.

But this week I made some Chocolate Sparkle Cookies. My nieces and nephew were going to spend the night at our house AND I was craving chocolate, so I decided to make this cookie. But first, let me give you some background and a picture.


chocolate sparkle cookies Posted by Hello

Several months ago I caught a piece on the food network about a patisserie/cafe in Canada called Sen5es Bakery. They claimed to make the best cookie in the world, the Chocolate Sparkle Cookie, created by their pastry chef, Thomas Haas. It's a moist, flourless chocolate cookie that "sparkles" because of the granulated sugar that it's rolled in. Best cookie in the world? I was intrigued. The quest was on. On their website, I found that I could mail order some. Yay! I wouldn't have to travel to another country to get my chocolate fix. That was easy. But it was to the tune of $30/dozen! Or something outrageous like that. And I can't remember if shipping was included or not. Um yeah, that wasn't going to happen. So the next quest was to find the recipe. Searching...searching. It led me to eGullet. (That, btw, was my introduction to the wonderful site.) I found an article about the famous cookie, and a link to an LA Times blurb which featured the recipe! I printed out the recipe and returned to eGullet to see of there was anything else to see. And it's a good thing I did. I found that Thomas Haas had updated his recipe. You can find it here.

So I made the cookies. Are they the best cookies in the world? Well, no, not to me. But they ARE pretty damned good. Good enough that I made them again this past week, and will probably make them again in the future. I'm actually going to have one right now. My favorite chocolate cookie is Pierre Herme's Korova Cookie, but that's another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home