Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Ben and Jerry's Binge


new york super fudge chunk Posted by Hello

When I was in college my roommates and I would each habitually polish off an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream while watching the Indiana Jones trilogy, or listening to Depeche Mode or The Smiths. Laura's favorite was Cherry Garcia. Vic's was New York Super Fudge Chunk. Mine wavered between Mint Chocolate Cookie and Chocolate Fudge Brownie until the day they invented Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (sadly now resting in the flavor graveyard). In the years since, I seem to have traded in these chunky, candied and cookied confections for more "refined" and "sophisticated" flavors. Remember when Dulce de Leche was all the rage? I do. It was my go-to flavor for everything. Actually, I'd plan my desserts around this ice cream. Apple Pie, brownies, almond cake, etc. But like all things I love too much and too often, I got sick of it. I think I actually stayed away from ice cream altogether for awhile.

A few months ago I noticed that my local Trader Joe's was carrying a limited selection of Ben and Jerry's. I felt that it was time to reacquaint myself with an old friend. Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia or NY Super Fudge Chunk? Seeing how fruit in ice cream is WRONG, I chose the latter. And I chose well. Yum. The chocolate ice cream itself is very good. I could actually do without the white and dark chocolate chunks (too sweet), but I adore the fudge covered almonds. I really wish there were more of those...

I like to eat my ice cream semi-soft which means I leave it at room temperature for awhile. I've heard of people microwaving it but that scares me a little. I don't want to misjudge the time and end up having to drink it. One drawback of eating it soft is that it allows you to take bigger bites, and eventually, eat way more ice cream than you would if it were hard. It is a necessary evil, however, since I like it how I like it, and wouldn't eat it any other way. It's a good thing I can't pack it away like I used to. I only managed to eat half the carton.

So what's your flavor? And how do you like to eat it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home